As explained in the Building an email list (The non-spammy way) chapter. Your Calls-to-actions (CTA’s) can only succeed if people are engaging with your site, blogs, and social media. A good content strategy draws people into your site, blogs, and social media accounts. It helps them appreciate what they are reading and encourages them to sign up for your email list.
By content, I’m referring to articles, posts, whitepapers, infographics etc. Just like the emails you send, they should be useful, timely, and interesting to your audience. A smart strategy is linking emails to content on your site or blog. You will also want to try social media strategies. Use social media to distribute your content and keep people interested. Then ask them to sign up for your newsletters. You can even embed an email sign up form into your social media posts as described in Building an email list (The non-spammy way).
If you are new to email marketing, make sure you are complying with email marketing laws in your area you are operating in. All emails sent from the United States must comply with Can-Spam laws and regulations. Such as not using false or misleading information, deceptive subject lines, and telling recipients where you’re located. You must also give them an easy way to opt-out of your marketing materials.
If you are sending emails and targeting visitors in Europe you must comply with the new GDPR rules that the European Parliament and Council replaced in late May 2018.
Now you’re ready to start crafting strong, compelling CTA messages to build your list!
Check these items off your to-do list. If you need help with any of them, contact me. We help growing businesses setup data-driven websites, landing pages, blogs, and send emails that customers can’t ignore.
- Set up a website, landing page, or blog that can host my email sign up form.
- Set up social media profiles.
- Research and choose the right email marketing tool for your business.
- Make a list of email content ideas that are useful, timely, and interesting.
- Evaluate the value of the current content on my site, blog, and social media profiles.
- Brainstorm useful, timely, and interesting ideas for future content and keep them somewhere you can reference them easily.